After my big server fiasco in 2010, all relevant posts are now online again over a year later. I even had to write a special filter in PHP that allowed me to import all the posts I had saved from Google’s cache. That way I could add them to the blog as drafts. The most work was uploading all the screenshots again and re-linking them manually. I’m really glad it’s all back now 🙂
I added a page that lists all post titles as a quick archive in the upper site navigation, and I have a few plans for the future of the blog. I will definitely keep posting, but as always I’ll do it at my own pace. It started out as a means to record my EVE adventures for myself, and even if it went somewhat beyond that’s still its core mission. I’m by no means a blogaholic, nor do big posts come to me easily – so I prefer to spend the time I need on them to be able to post something I’m comfortable with.
The upside of this was that I was forced to re-read most of the posts, and re-lived part of my earlier adventures. Some of the older posts nearly went into the bin, especially the one where I was showing off a Maelstrom fitted with lasers, for example. I could not delete it though, it’s part of the story…
Now that the past has been reborn, I can finally put my energy back into writing some new content! Here’s to a bright future for EVE so the adventure may never end 🙂
[UPDATE]: I have started restoring the posts from the captain’s log. It seems I was able to collect nearly all of them 🙂
Yes, Aeon’s EVE has seen its share of troubles lately. One of my server’s RAID drives died, and my webhoster managed to turn a neat failsafe system into an utter nightmare. For some obscure reason it was not possible to recover some of the data, among which was the Captain’s Log database. To make a long story short, the entirety of my three years of EVE blogging is gone.
Or is it? A good hot bathtub will do wonders to relax, and that’s where I got my idea. Desperate times call for desperate measures – in this case, raiding the google cache. Google has a copy of almost every post I ever published in its cache, and even if it is a daunting task to retrieve them that way, I prefer that to just letting it go.
The devil hides around every corner though. Can you believe that my data retrieval spree was ended by none other than google itself? I made a search within my domain name, and patiently right-clicked and saved all the cache links. Until google told me that I am probably an evil robot leeching its pages and rather politely but firmly told me to get lost. I was speechless, and stared at the message for a while, wondering if a heavy battle axe could be a solution in this surreal situation.
The thing is, I did not get this far just to give up. I will wait until the IP ban is lifted and finish what I started… there were only three result pages left. The interesting part will be writing a small PHP script that will extract the post data from all the bits of HTML I saved.
Anyway, here’s to hope and unconditional optimism.
Cheers and fly safe,